Small Business Advertising Grant Details
Congratulations to all those who received their grants! The application is now Closed.
There are some specific qualifications that a business must meet to receive one of the available grants.
1) Be a member in good standing with ChamberWest;
2) Business must be located in Salt Lake County;
3) Have a current Business License as of January 31, 2020;
4) Must be an active ChamberWest business that collects sales tax (defined as having paid at least $150 in sales tax in any month in 2020);
5) Must be a small business (defined as 95 or fewer Full-Time Equivalent employees);
6) Be able to demonstrate a business interruption due to the COVID-19 public health emergency totaling at least $5,000 of reduced revenue.
How it Works:
This grant program was created as a way to reimburse businesses for advertising in the next month as you work to rebuild your business. NOW is the time to bring in those customers and lay the groundwork for a strong financial future.
Businesses will be asked to turn in all receipts via email by November 23rd by close of business. The advertising does not have to be completed by November 23rd, but by the end of the year. It will need to be paid for by November 23rd. We will require a sample of your project(s) for our reporting back to the County on how the funds were used.
Advertising grant funds will be used to reimburse businesses for qualifying advertising expenses.
You can use the grant funds for print or social media advertising, direct mail, digital, radio, TV, banners, signage, business cards, billboards, etc. You can also use the funds for items such as logoed items, branded PPE promotional items, sponsorships with non-profits, customer appreciation treats, or any other legitimate advertising outreach to encourage increased sales and/or brand awareness of your business. We have included some contacts below in the FAQ's that we encourage you to work with for these types of promotional advertising. You cannot use the funds to reimburse for consulting, payroll, or agency fees.
- Submit the application (below) to ChamberWest between October 28 – November 10, 2020.
- Chamber staff will determine if the business qualifies, and if so, will reserve their $3,000 and notify them of their acceptance (first-come-first-served while grant funds are available).
- Business will have until the end of the year to advertise, but everything needs to be paid for and receipts submitted to ChamberWest for reimbursement by November 23rd. You can submit receipts for reimbursement for any expenses made between July 1, 2020, and November 23, 2020.
- Make sure your ChamberWest membership is paid and current.
All grantees will be reimbursed by ChamberWest by November 30, 2020.
Small Business Advertising Grant
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: HOW DO I TURN IN MY RECEIPTS & INVOICES TO BE REIMBURSED?
A: You will need to email copies of your receipts along with an invoice to Barbara@chamberwest.org. We do ask that you submit all of your expenses at once so we only have to cut one reimbursement check.
Q: WHAT IS THE DEADLINE TO TURN IN MY RECEIPTS & INVOICES?
A: Monday, November 23rd at 5:00 pm.
Q: DOES THE ADVERTISING HAVE TO BE COMPLETED BY NOVEMBER 23rd?
A: No, just accrued so you can submit an invoice or receipt to us by November 23rd. We are encouraging you to finalize your advertising efforts as close to the end of the year as possible.
Q: HOW QUICKLY CAN CHAMBERWEST GET ME MY REIMBURSEMENT CHECK?
A: Typically, within one week of you submitting the documents.
Q: CAN I USE THE GRANT MONEY FOR SIGNS, BANNERS, BUSINESS CARDS, DIRECT MAIL, LOGOED SHIRTS, HATS OR MERCHANDISE?
A: Yes! Here are some ChamberWest Members that could help you with these things:
Q: CAN I USE THE GRANT MONEY FOR BILLBOARDS?
A: Yes! Here are some contacts:
Q: CAN I USE THE GRANT MONEY FOR PRINT ADVERTISING?
A: Yes! Here are some contacts for you:
Q: CAN I USE THE GRANT MONEY FOR DIGITAL, RADIO, OR TV ADVERTISING?
A: Yes! Here are some contacts:
Q: CAN I USE THE GRANT MONEY TO PURCHASE A SPONSORSHIP PACKAGE?
A: Yes! Many non-profits offer sponsorship packages for businesses. Here are some contacts:
Q: WHAT ARE OTHER EXAMPLES OF THINGS I CAN USE IT ON?
A: Facebook ads, Google ads, sports or theater sponsorship, water bottles with your logo on it to pass out, banner for school sporting events, vehicle wraps, customer appreciation, treats, and any other legitimate marketing outreach to encourage increased sales and/or brand awareness of your business, graphic design, photography, etc. Here are some contacts:
Q: WHAT DOES NOT QUALIFY?
A: We are not allowed to reimburse for consulting, payroll, or agency fees. It may be worth it for you to engage such help to strategically spend your $3,000, but we cannot use grant funds for these services.
Q: HOW CAN WE THANK YOU?
A: To support our ChamberWest cities, we would really like to see businesses proud to be in the actual city they are located such as West Valley City, the City of West Jordan, the City of Taylorsville, and Kearns Metro Township - whether it is on business cards, signage, etc. We encourage you to make sure your stuff says one of these cities vs. Salt Lake City. Thanks much!
Also, if you have any pics of how you used the money, please send them to me, Barbara@chamberwest.org, to share with our members of our Board of Directors.
Q: WHO DO WE CONTACT IF WE HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?
A: Please contact Barbara Riddle at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-540-6312 or email Becky Guertler at email@example.com or call 801-635-9032.